Homemade Garlic Powder

December 27, 2018 The Provident Princess 0 Comments

Homemade garlic powder has the most incredible scent and flavor. You'll be wondering what you've been eating all these years. Well, that's actually one of the reasons why I make my own spices.

Most packaged spices, including garlic powder that we buy from stores are full of anti-caking powders and other fillers so we really don't know what we are eating. There is also no way of knowing how old the spices are. We know that the antioxidants and other nutrients start breaking down over time so we could end up with something that is virtually tasteless and void of nutrition.

I wrote a previous post about how easy it is to dehydrate garlic. Seriously, it is. But I've had a lot of people ask what I actually do with this garlic and how I use it once it is dehydrated. It's so easy to throw a few slices in when I am sauteing veggies, making soups or dips. But my favorite thing is just to make homemade garlic powder.


Homemade Garlic Powder
I use a spice/coffee grinder and just fill it to the top of the silver fill line and process til it is a light fluffy powder. Watch out though. If you try to remove the lid right away you will end up with a cloud of garlic powder everywhere. So you need to let it rest for the dust to settle. I usually use up a bottle of garlic powder every few months; but once I had one for almost a year and I never had a problem with it clumping. But that is why I keep my dehydrated garlic in the slices and just grind what I need when I need it. It keeps the strongest flavor and I never have problems with caking.


Dehydrate Garlic Slices

 I use my dehydrate garlic slices but if you don't have any available then you could totally just use granulated garlic. Costco has a big jar of good California granulate garlic that I love.

Granulated Garlic
Garlic Powder


I just always save my spice jars and just reuse them, but there are a lot of cute ones on Amazon you could use if you want a cohesive look or wanted to give away some as gifts. These ones match the Spice Island jars you can get at the store.

I love easy ways to replace toxic and synthetic chemicals in our lives that don't take a lot of effort. Let me know in the comments if would be interested in seeing more ways to switch out everyday products/ ingredients with ones that are more natural and health promoting.







You Might Also Like

0 comments: