9 Foods That Will Last Forever

May 16, 2011 The Provident Princess 0 Comments

I saw an interesting article on Yahoo! the other day and learned some new things. The author listed 9 cooking staples that can last forever (usually if they are stored in an airtight, cool, dark place which is the recommendation for most food storage...)

Most of them I knew. Sugar, salt, rice, white distilled vinegar, and honey.

But these are the ones I didn't know.


Pure vanilla extract
If you have pure vanilla extract in the back of the cupboard, there's no need to throw it out because it lasts forever. It may be more expensive than its imitation counterpart, but its shelf life certainly outweighs the extra cost.
Keep that vanilla flavor at its best by sealing the botttle after each use and storing it in a cool, dark place.

(I was most excited about this one. There aren't a lot of spices and seasonings that you can store forever.  I think most people think of food storage as bland so imagine how nice it would be to be able to flavor your food with some vanilla.)

Corn starch
You can thicken gravies and sauces for years with just one box of corn starch because it keeps indefinitely. Store this kitchen staple in a cool, dry area and be sure to reseal it tightly after each use.
Corn syrup
If you come across a years-old bottle of corn syrup in your pantry, don't throw it out. This sweetener keeps indefinitely as long as you keep it sealed and store it in a cool, dry area.
Maple syrup
What good are pancakes or waffles without maple syrup? Luckily, this flavorful syrup will never spoil if you refrigerate it or freeze it. For long-term storage, seal it in an airtight plastic container and freeze it.

(This is my opinion, but I don't want to take up space in my freezer for maple syrup. I will just store maple extract and I'll be able to make 50 servings or more with just one bottle. As long as I store enough sugar to go with it that is.)
To check out the full article click this link
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/green/forever-foods-9-cooking-staples-that-can-outlast-you-2456896/;_ylt=AvvDaGEMbFVuESH6VZ_oI4n7hKU5?pg=2#comments

Hope all of you are getting your gardens in the ground and well on their way. I've been a little bit of a slacker but luckily the weather has been cooperating and has been colder than usual so I'm not behind yet on what I'm wanting to plant.



You Might Also Like

0 comments: